fitting another ariel to a Netgear DG834G ?

Ikelos 16:37 24 Mar 06

Hi, has anyone fitted another ariel to their netgear wireless router, my laptop is upstairs and the signal is not that good, i did read somewhere that a better ariel might do it, anyone done it?.....thanks

rsinbad 16:49 24 Mar 06

yes just fitted one to my netgear dg834g router picked up one from maplins works with 802.11b and g 5.0dbi gain for around £15.

simply remove old aerial plug in new extension with aerial

rsinbad 16:51 24 Mar 06
  Ikelos 16:55 24 Mar 06

thanks for that, nice one, could well be a trip to maplins in the morning..

rsinbad 16:57 24 Mar 06

they do several also extension cables the one i have is 1.5 m long works a treat

rsinbad 16:57 24 Mar 06

they do several also extension cables the one i have is 1.5 m long works a treat

Ikelos 17:10 24 Mar 06

double take :-)) I have tried standing the router on its end, but no improvement, the laptop downstairs has a fine signal,but the one upstairs has one one bar thingy showing, instead of 4......

ade.h 18:09 24 Mar 06

If the aerial doesn't improve it enough, would a gateway/access point work better for you? That might not be the right name for them but the gist of it is that they act as a middle man between the router and the client and just re-route the signal.

ade.h 18:16 24 Mar 06

click here This is vaguely what I had in mind, but I'm sure there should be cheaper equivalents out there and this one claims only to work with Linksys stuff.

ade.h 18:17 24 Mar 06

A long extension cable as per rsinbad's idea might be a better bet depending on where your router is placed.

Ikelos 18:55 24 Mar 06

Hi,the signal is sometimes fine, the router is by the front door, so it is at the bottom of the stairs, so it has only got to go up the stairs and into the small bedroom :-), i was trying to keep the cost down, the BT voyager adsl wireless router i had, always had a good signal...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…