First Website

old&nojob 10:21 26 Mar 06

I have just put together a new website for my family tree. Would be interested in constructive comments on any apsect of the design. I have used mainly HTML-Kit and learnt CSS.

afamilyhistory@btinternet.com/index.html" title="http://uk.geocities.com/afamilyhistory@btinternet.com/index.html" TARGET="_new">click here

Many thanks.

Forum Editor 10:57 26 Mar 06

family tree websites are primarily only of interest to those who belong to (or are close to) the family - they're of little interest to the world at large, and as such there's not the need to devote quite so much time to bells and whistles......the content is all-important.

You've obviously put a lot of work into your site, and there's a wealth of content there for the family to enjoy. If I look at the site purely from the design point of view there are a couple of comments however:-

1. The map background on the homepage is distracting, and the text is not all that easy to read.

2. I'm not personally very keen on the rather drab green theme - I would have used something more inviting, a fresh blue or cream perhaps.

3. Large slabs of text make for lapses in concentration. Look at any good magazine and see how the layout creates interest - text blocks broken up by images, or lines and boxes.

barryoneoff.co.uk 16:06 26 Mar 06

is "Whoops, we can't find your page" on the first link, and an email form on the second.

Genius1 19:59 26 Mar 06

Same here...

mco 20:16 26 Mar 06

me too!

De Marcus™ 20:56 26 Mar 06
  Forum Editor 23:32 26 Mar 06

Well done.

old&nojob 18:46 28 Mar 06

Thanks for your time. The map, yes it is a little distracting so I will remove it. Drab green? OK, I avoided blue because there is a lot of blue (coloured) sites around but I guess in the end its down to the beholder. It seems some of you could not access the site but De Marcus was kind enough to add a link. Retry from there if you are inclined. Thanks.

ade.h 20:58 28 Mar 06

I think it's likely to be too wide for your intended audience. It fits okay on a 1280, but you would be wise to ask for feedback from your family members, at least some of whom are likely to have 1024s.

The green background that is visible for a fraction of a second before the map loads is a nice colour; the banner is not, however. I think that the green approach is quite appropriate here, but soft woodland greens and beiges are probably best.

Ok thanks once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…