First-time PC builder

peasey 13:40 05 Feb 12

I am going to be building a PC for the first time, primarily for gaming, although I do not want to break the bank. I have spent some time researching various components and think I have settled on an initial list. However, I would be grateful for any advice as to whether these components will all be compatible and/or whether it is worth me considering better alternatives. Components are:

Processor: Intel i5-2500k Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme 4 RAM: Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600 CL8 Dual Channel Kit Viper II Xtreme Division Graphics card: Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card PSU: Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm

For cooling I understand the stock Intel precessor cooling unit should suffice for the i5-2500k. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!

chub_tor 16:02 05 Feb 12

I don't see anything majorly wrong with your choice of components but this will show you AsRocks guaranteed compatibility for the CPU and memory. Have you chosen a case and an OS?

peasey 15:48 06 Feb 12

I haven't chosen a case as yet, not really sure how large it would need to be but I'm assuming a medium size case would suffice.

As for OS, I think it would be Windows 7.

northumbria61 16:07 06 Feb 12

Plenty to chose from here enter link description here

chub_tor 16:08 06 Feb 12

The board you have chosen is a full size ATX so I would suggest at least a midi tower or a full tower. Take a look at ebuyer, aria, scan etc. for a good selection. You will need the 64 bit version of Win7 to take advantage of your memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017