First-Time Overclocker

hmmm 18:35 15 Jan 04

i am trying to overclock my xp1700 on an asus a7v333 mobo. The highest the mulitplier will go is 12.5. The highest the fsb will go is 149...if i set it higher then the system doesnt boot.

So do i put the multiplier on 12.5 and fsb on 149 and see how stable the system is. I read somewhere u were meant to divide you max mhz by your 166 and set your nultiplier to that. But my mobo dont let me go that high.

Any advice and websites to read up

thans in advance

hector 911 18:39 15 Jan 04

go to Ocuk for more advice

Rayuk 19:34 15 Jan 04
  Chegs ® 19:54 15 Jan 04

OC'ing your CPU is the fastest way to get your OS crashing,and it getting unstable due to heat.

The better gains can be had by dropping the multiplier then you can run a higher FSB.Arriving back at the same "speed" as before,but the higher FSB means "faster" REAL CPU speed.The only prob then is getting the PCI bus back to optimum speed(I seem to remember 66Mhz for some reason)along with other hardware(IDE controller,etc)to allow the HDD's to boot.

The difference in realtime between unclocked and OC is so marginal(especially with modern CPU's hitting 3+Ghz)you have to run a test of some kind to "see" a difference,time that could be used "in windows" to find out what makes it tick,and speed the OS up instead(as when it fails,its free to reinstall again)whereas a marginal increase in CPU speed might cost you a wedge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…