First Steps with a New Computer

jhwhite 17:34 25 Nov 10

Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased a computer (which should hopefully arrive soon) and I was wondering if there was any advice (for me, or anyone else) on some of the first things you should do when you get a new computer.

Obviously I want to install some anti-virus (AVG and Spybot unless someone suggests otherwise). But I was thinking a little more outside the box.

Example:
I recently read (on here) that nvidia graphics cards come with a lifetime warranty, but only if you register them within 30 days (I'm not sure if that's applicable when purchased as part of a whole computer).

Any other WISE WORDS OF WISDOM would be appreciated.

gengiscant 17:43 25 Nov 10

First question, what make model of PC?

jhwhite 17:49 25 Nov 10

Being bought from Cougar-Extreme

Configure; nvidia i7 gts gtx

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache, Manufacturer Supplied Cooler,
6GB DDR3 CORSAIR Triple Channel (3x2GB) 1600, 1000GB SATA Hard Drive,
I7 - ASUS P6X58D-E, X58 - 6 DDR3 2000 - 3 PCIEX16 - SATA6G - USB3,
1024Mb GTX460 PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI DX11, Venus Midi Tower Case with 2 x Blue LED Fans & LED Display,
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TXUK, DVD+/- RW -
20X Samsung Lightscribe,
Integrated Sound Card,
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit,
Wireless card PCI,
Intergrated Monitor Speakers,
Standard Warranty

I was thinking about universal advice, but specific advice would be great.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 25 Nov 10

1. Uninstall the trial software that you will not pay for (very little you cannot get alternatives for free anyway)

2. Install your choice of Antispyware and Antivirus

3. As soon as the machine is exactly as you want it MAKE the RECOVERY DVDs.
If you cannot do this, the purchase Acronis True Image and make an image and rescue disk.

MAke a note of all serial Numbers and product numbers and keep them safe with the rescue / recovery disks

(If you have them you probably won't need them)
(If you don't have them you will definitely need them)

shellship 18:00 25 Nov 10

Following on from Fruit Bat /\0/\,download Belarc Advisor - click here - as this will provide a record of everything you have got.

Batch 18:56 25 Nov 10

Recommend that you instigate a regular backup procedure encompassing both your data and the OS / pgms.

If you are just going to have a single drive partition on the computer(e.g. C: ), imaging the whole thing on aregular basis is a comprehensive way to do this. So imaging software such as Acronis True Image is a worthwhile investment (note that there are free alternatives available).

Image back-ups to an external device (an external hard disk being the most obvious choice) are recommended.

jhwhite 10:30 26 Nov 10

Thanks Guys

Never tried imaging before, I'll look it up and give it a go (once the machine arrives).

gengiscant 14:08 26 Nov 10

It is not necessary to buy Acronis, it is very bloated and there are very good free ones available.

wolfie3000 15:01 26 Nov 10

One thing I would recommend is updating,
Goto the Microsoft website and update windows.

robin_x 16:31 26 Nov 10

As per Fruit Bat's post above except:

4. Make your first image now as well as any Recovery DVDs you may have made.
Click Start, start typing 'backup' in the search box.
Click Backup and Restore when it pops up.
Create system image.

This will be in x:\WindowsSystemImage where x: is preferrably an ext HDD, or another partition on your main drive or if you really have to on c: drive.
Last two options are not recommended though. If your HDD fails you have lost them.

My clean factory install image (all the rubbish software deleted etc) took about 20 mins and 17GB.

If you make another W7 image it will be overwritten, so rename the folder WindowsImageBackup_MyCleanImage or something.
The next image will again be in WindowsImageBackup.
Effectively if you do this early enough, you have just made your own Factory Restore but without all the crap and with screensaver, wallpaper and your other options all done. And it is a hell of a lot faster. My 1 yr old Compaq laptop Factory Restore took 2 hours when I used it once.

You may wish to make a boot/repair CD/DVD, if not done.

On-going images as you install, uninstall and add your files can be done easily and regularly.

My c: drive image is up to about 60GB now (takes about 40 mins. I keep large movies, and apps and distros etc stored and/or installed on other partitions, otherwise c: image would be even larger. They are not backed up either, because they are easily replaceable.

Irreplaceable things like install CDs for Office2000, XP Retail and W7 I have in another partition and backed up to an ext HDD
(CDs/DVDs get scratched or degrade)

-----------
Lots of nice freeware, with reviews, to fill your new machine at click here
(click Freeware Categories)

Have fun

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…