First server install - gateway question

brundle 19:48 PM 18 Dec 08

Small office, peer to peer at the moment, all with internet access. Is it usual to use the server as the internet gateway for all office machines instead of the switch/router combination they use now so that traffic all goes via the server? Server 2003 SBS, if it makes any difference. In addition, is using DHCP best for a small network of 8 machines or will static addresses be more suitable?

Yes, this is a dupe; click here

bobbybowls 10:59 AM 31 Dec 08

i would say use the switch, that way you have more control.
it might be useful to restrict/allow traffic between pc's or the server/internet. i.e. IT allowed to access everything, other departments only able to access pc's/server's or printers etc relevant to their own department.

brundle 22:37 PM 04 Feb 09

Thanks for the response; it's a single-office organisation with a couple of other separate organisations occupying various corners, and I've been using VLANs on the switch to provide a measure of security between my organisation's peer-to-peer network and the others stand-alone computers.
Apologies for taking so long to reply.

brundle 22:37 PM 04 Feb 09

resolved

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…