first post please help :-) - HOME NETWORKING

ruraljim 19:12 28 Mar 08

Hi,

As i say i'm a newbie and hopefully I will be able to help others (can build pc's with eyes shut), however I do have a small problem with networking which one of you peeps will hopefully be able to help me with.

I am trying to set up my neighbours network. He's on Talk Talk Broadband but has 2 pc's which he wants linking up. Firstly am I correct in thinking you don't have to use the wired modem he was provided by Talk Talk??, as he also has a Belkin wireless router, a network card in main pc (am going to connect that via ethernet anyway, and a usb network adapter on the pc downstairs.

Whats the best way to link the two up?, basically he wants his kids to be able to access internet throught the router thats going to be linked into phone line and pc upstairs.

Should he have some sort of networking software provided with the network adapters / card ??

He's using Vista (which for me is a pian as I have never used it before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind thanks

rural x

STREETWORK 21:05 28 Mar 08

You should be able to use the wireless router.

Install the router software and drivers first, then switch off the PC and connect the router.

Once the drivers have been installed use the information provided by Talk Talk to set up a new connection from control panel, network and sharing.

Follow the wixard to add/make a new connection.

Once you have established the connection and checked it works, set up the other PC in the same way but make sure you use the wizard to make a network connection to your current one. you will need the security key which can be found with the router (sometimes on a sticker on the base). When propted enter the WEP/WPA network key and finish the wizard. now see if you can connect.

Post back if problems...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…