First PC build - in a right mess!

Moon1980 13:09 18 Feb 06

Hello all,

I'm about in to my 10th hour with my new pc project, that I have decided to build myself and I am still no closer to having a new family PC.

The PC is made up of the following;

AMD X2 4200+ 939

ASUS A8N-E NF4 939

WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB 16MB SATA-2 HDD

1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 RAM

GAINWARD 6600GT 128MB PCI-E VGA

ANTEC 400W 2.0 DUAL RAIL PSU

SONY DVD/RW

WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE 2005 OEM click here

All of the above was bought from click here.

My problem is with the installation of the OS. When installing WMC it first installs Windows XP Pro, This is on 2 CD's and a further WMC 2005 update disk - this all goes well and then I am asked to insert Windows XP Professional SP2 CD 2, right after entering the product key and setting regional settings.

On inserting the disk as requested the Installation will continue until about 10 mins are left and then the installation will prompt me to insert disk 2 again, which is already in the CD Drive.

I have tried all 3 disks at this prompt and none of them will satisfy the prompt. I have attempted to bypass this by just pressing cancel, which has resulted with the following problems.

The installation finishes but windows does not function properly - I have no, IE or access to system restore, msconfig and also icons of files don’t load up properly. All giving error messages of i.e ‘msconfig.exe is not found’

I have attempted to repair the installation however it will just again prompt for cd 2 however it advises that it needs the ASMS file? And to search D\i386? - Again all disk are entered and tried at this point but the installation is unable to complete?

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Forum Editor 13:23 18 Feb 06

and concentrate on getting Windows XP installed first.

There are some known issues with WMC installations - some printer drivers can unregister an essential Windows system file for instance.

Just run the Windows XP disks, and let them do the job of installing the O/S - then, when all is running properly you can run the WMC installer separately.

Moon1980 13:28 18 Feb 06

Thanks for the suggestion the only problem is that XP Pro and WMC are both on CD 2/3 so they automatically install one after another - I dont have the know how to seperate the installation?

JWJH 15:01 18 Feb 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…