First laptop

Mooky19 21 Apr 12

Hi,

I looking to get my first ever laptop. I have £500 budget, want it for general use and watching movies both on dvd and online and would like a number pad on the keyboard. Had looked at the Sony Vaio and HP dv6 but getting conflicting advice. Please help!

john bunyan 21 Apr 12

For a reliable brand with easy spares etc I would go for Toshiba. John Lewis give a 2 Year Guarantee. There is one on the link at just within your budget.For about £30 you can get a TV dongle to use it as a TV and PVR! Do get a USB HD to back up data from the start!

J Lewis Toshiba

frybluff 22 Apr 12

Would certainly agree with JB, about John Lewis' guarantee, which is well worth having. They also give 90 tech support.

If you have a £500 budget, and no VERY SPECIFIC needs (eg Gaming), you have a huge choice. I would visit JL, and try a few (a lot comes down to "what feels right"), then check out their reviews, on this site, or somewhere like Which?.

rockets 24 Apr 12

I suggest to buy a thinkpad laptop,it has well-know good quality and it is very cool in summer. you can purchase a 15" laptop that has a number pad designed on it. Importantly its keyboard has sensitive and good feedback feelings.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message