first laptop

justbecauseblah 18:52 24 Dec 07

Hi there, I've been a PC user for many years and am now looking to buy a laptop. Having never had one of my own before I've no idea what to look for! Some help would be greatly appreciated:

My budget is up to £1,000
I won't be using it for gaming
Will mostly be used for high speed internet, downloading and uploading, storing all my photos, music and videos. Live streaming. Hopefully running several different programmes at once without it crashing (!). That sort of idea

What brands are best? - I was thinking Sony but that's just because I like their TVs, I've got no idea if their laptops are good

Any specific recommendations?

What to definitely avoid?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

MCE2K5 21:16 24 Dec 07

"My budget is up to £1,000
I won't be using it for gaming
Will mostly be used for high speed internet, downloading and uploading, storing all my photos, music and videos. Live streaming. Hopefully running several different programmes at once without it crashing (!). That sort of idea": How long is a piece of string.

"I was thinking Sony": I have a Sony Vaio PC & a Sony Vaio Laptop, I have never been disapointed with either.

My advice is go for the best you can afford.

Nip in to PC World and let them show you what they have got for your price range.

postie24 11:54 25 Dec 07

With that sort of budget i would have a look at this site
click here

You can customise your laptop to suit your needs.They are very helpful in giving advice.

sean-278262 14:23 25 Dec 07

Never ever take advice from PC world. I went in the other day to get a kettle lead. Simple item, asked the staff member where they were and the guy just looked blankly until I said "PC power cables" and he then asked which one. Sadly I dont take PC world, Currys or Dixons as being any good at what they do. They look at the specs and then regurgitate it back to you trying to get the commission.

My advice look at them and take down the specs but never buy from them until you get a real review from the web. I saw a guy looking at a low end laptop £400 who was told it was super powerful and had a HD screen (HD being a Television standard not a PC one). The screen was actually a standard resolution laptop screen.

Dont be fooled by the staff is all I am saying.

Things to look for include-
- Screen size 15.4 if you want it to be portable smaller if you are wanting long battery life to take it on the road. 17 for better enjoyment of DVDs and photos. Look for higher resolution screens as your budget can afford it.
- Hard drives, no point skimping 160gb is what you need to look for. If not more on your budget.
- Ram. Aim for no less than 2gb
- Dont bother with gimmics as some companies are trying to pimp high definition DVD drives. I would wait till dual format drives come out and spend the money on other features
- Expect bluetooth, a minimum of 4 USB ports and a, b and G wireless.
- Processor wise it is best these days to avoid AMD processors (as much as it pains me to say it) and go for intel.

Your best bet would be to go browsing and see what you like the look of and then come back with what you have seen. At the end of the day whatever you buy will fly however we can certainly give advice.

Novatech, Mesh, Acer, Dell and Sony are all good laptop brands. Toshiba, IMB and HP are also all good brands.

palinka 10:03 01 Jan 08

and buy a mouse - after a desktop you may find the touchpad on a laptop makes for awkward working.

I agree entirely with Astec123 about the high street names and what specs to look for. As you've got £1000 to spend you'd be better off going to either a local supplier (preferably one recommended by friends/colleagues) or buying on-line direct from Novatech, Dell, Mesh, etc. You'll have plenty of choice.

tullie 11:11 01 Jan 08

Maybe you should have asked for a pc power cable in the first place

skidzy 18:48 01 Jan 08

" Sadly I dont take PC world, Currys or Dixons as being any good at what they do ".

To an extent your statement is partly true.

However,my local PCW has always been helpful though limited knowledge on the sales floor.
Difference we have here at Dixons well Currysdigital as its known now,is that here they have a guy who is excellent (if you can get hold of him) what he does not know probably isnt worth knowing.

Call him a geek or whatever,but he surely knows his stuff.Its just a pity there are not more around with half his knowledge.

PCW in my opinion need to train up the sales staff to a more competent level.
Ive had a few computers from PCW and all been very good...but i knew what to look for and the budget i wanted to pay...same goes for any components/hardware i may need.

Overall my advice would be to anyone with limited knowledge to ask advice first,we can then advise accordingly.

The one company i would be staying away from is ,maybe i had should not say it !

justbecauseblah

Your options are endless at the moment,but here is something to add to your choice click here

Ex plorer 16:31 03 Jan 08

My son paid over the £1000 a year gone now on a Sony Vaio LT, I cant fault it but there was no XP disk, so I guess its just a licensed out XP he has, which is on a second drive.
How you go about a repair of XP with out a disk I am not sure.
I have two PCs and both have their own XP discs.
I would asume any new PC is better off with a disk as part of its package than with out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…