First flashe site.

AcidBurn7uk 23:42 23 Feb 04

I have started to vreate my own flash site today, but I dont know how to use iFrames etc. I use these quite alot when creating pages with plain HTML but don't have a clue with flash. I am actually usin Swish2.0 to create the site as I still havn't figured how to use Flash properly! please help as I want my mark on the web to be half decent, my attempt so far can be found here: click here
Forgive the slowness of tripod and all the ads, the site will hopefully be 'professionally' hosted once completed.

Forum Editor 00:33 24 Feb 04

your link produces a 404 error (page not found).

Perhaps you can post again?

Jester2K 07:35 24 Feb 04
  Jester2K 07:37 24 Feb 04

Maybe not...

AcidBurn7uk 10:50 24 Feb 04

ooopps. Sotty bout that, this is the right link: click here

Taran 11:03 24 Feb 04

Two things:

1. Your movie consists of "Welcome to Jays World", so there really isn't a lot to base an opinion on.

2. Flash based sites may look nice [when done properly] but:

a/ they are a search engine nightmare

b/ unless you use referenced textfiles for page content they are awful to update since your text is saved as a graphic within the Flash movie

c/ accessibility issues are too many to mention

d/ you rely on a browser plugin for people to even see it to begin with

e/ for a site of any size you rely on people being patient enought to sit staring at your "Loading..." splash screen while the site loads up which, on 56k dial up, becomes a real pain. Most people will actually close the browser when confronted by a Flash loading screen

That's enough to be going on with...

I'd like to see your finished results but there is more to argue against the use [or misuse] of Flash than there is in favour of it in most cases.

At the moment though there is just not enough to make any real judgement.

AcidBurn7uk 11:29 24 Feb 04

Thanks, I don't want this to be a 'live site' - it's just so I can learn the basics and some advanced features of flash. However, I will post the link to my final site here, so I can get your comments.

PurplePenny 21:42 24 Feb 04

.... there is a most disconcerting effect - the Lycos sponsored links on the right also flash on and off in a disjointed fashion on the left, over your box.

PP

AcidBurn7uk 23:09 24 Feb 04

Forgive the ads, lycos is a temp solution while I develop it and find another host!

tomleady 09:34 25 Feb 04

u mentioned that u dont know how to use iFrames in your first post so here is a tutorial:

click here

i got this site from somewhere on this forum so hoep i'm not stepping on anyone's toes! its a very good site though and very useful.

Tom

AcidBurn7uk 10:28 25 Feb 04

Quote: "I have started to create my own flash site today, but I dont know how to use iFrames etc. I use these quite alot when creating pages with plain HTML"

Thanks anyway, and I'm sure the site you posted will come in handy in the future!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…