First ever network!

Mark10 17:58 28 Nov 05

Hi all. I am thinking of having a network in the house. The 'Family' PC is in my eldest son's bedroom and has an ADSL connection. He is always doing his collage work on it and is sort of hogging it a bit. I have now obtained another second hand PC for downstairs. What do i need to network them so they can share the ADSL connection and printer without the upstairs one being turned on, or share files if they are both turned on? Any advice greatfully accepted as I have no knowlage of this subject thou I am good with PC's. Thanks.

Forum Editor 19:09 28 Nov 05

is to buy an ADSL modem/router combination, and to fit a wireless network adapter to the second PC. The upstairs computer can be connected to the router by an Ethernet cable (that computer must have an ordinary network card installed, but pretty well all computers do).

Once the router is setup - an easy task - the second computer will be able to use the broadband connection at any time, without the need for the upstairs machine to be turned on. The router will establish the connection automatically each time it's switched on. It's not a good idea to leave a router connected permanently, so turn it off at night.

If you need specific advice about which router or network adapter to buy, post back, and one of us will make recommendations.

reclaimjack 13:26 29 Nov 05

sorry why is not a good idea to have a router on all the time ????

Mark10 18:49 29 Nov 05

Thanks FE, The wife has just inquired as to what I would like for Christmas so I will give her the news!!

Diodorus Siculus 19:33 29 Nov 05

reclaimjack - I too would like an answer to that one. Mine is on day and night even though the PC shuts off automatically each night.

keewaa 19:47 30 Nov 05

Apparently it transmits and receives extraterestrial signals during the night from the planet roupiter, and brainwashes you during the day by emmiting electromagnetic signals directly to your brain. They are coming, they are coming ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…