First Digital Camera.

curlylad 13:01 02 Jan 04

I want to buy my first digital camera but don't want to spend too much money , in fact all I really want is the cheapest , cheerfulest ,item I can purchase .In other words I want to buy the best of the very cheapest Digitals around , with as many features as possible , can you help please folks?

sdf 13:10 02 Jan 04

when it comes to digicams i fear it is opne of those items where you certainly get what you pay for. I suggest you have a shifty round the sales see what you can find

deadneat 13:13 02 Jan 04

U could try this site click here. I and a few friends have ordered from here.

wags 13:16 02 Jan 04

I agree with sdf. As with most things, you get what you pay for. IMHO you need to pay £150 upwards to get a decent camera with a reasonable lens. Check out some reviews click here and set yourself a budget. Also, you need to decide whether you will be printing photos or just emailing them as this will influence the choice of resolution etc.

anchor 13:33 02 Jan 04

With a limited budget, I would suggest you look for better resolution from a good manufacturer, rather than an optical zoom lens.

A model I recently suggested to a friend is the Canon Powershot A300; it has 3.2Mpixels, and has had very good reviews. (Don`t concern yourself with digital zoom; this is best done in your photo programme).

Price £125

click here

Review:

click here

Stuartli 13:57 02 Jan 04

I have a Minolta Dimage E203 two megapixel digital camera with 3x optical lens, video facility, host of menu options etc and which delivers cracking pix.

When I bought it it was priced at £349 but, after an extensive search I got it for just £199.99.

I notice that eBuyer is currently offering the Minolta E223, which seems to be basically the same camera apart from cosmetic differences (plus the bonus of audio with video), for just £99.99 plus VAT.

If it's as good as mine and I see no reason why not as Minolta (now with Konica as its partner) has had a worldwide reputation for optical and photographic quality for decades, then this must be one of the bargains of the year so far.

See here:

click here

Stuartli 14:09 02 Jan 04

Apart from only having digital zoom, the Canon is a good price but lacks the overall specification of the Minolta, especially with regard to the fixed lens.

The Minolta also uses Secure Digital or MultiMedia cards, which are about the size of a postage stamp and much more compact than CF cards.

Stuartli 13:03 03 Jan 04

My mate's just ordered an E223 - await it with interest....:-)

A Toshiba 64MB SD card was added at just over £16 - I paid £25 for a 32MB MMC card two years ago...:-(

clayton 13:18 03 Jan 04

A friend has just got this & is very pleased with it. click here

click here

mikef. 14:41 03 Jan 04

Have a mosey here click here I have used them several tin=mes and they are very good, with links to independent reviews, and look for the highest pixels and highest OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is not worth talking about) as you can afford.

As others have said you get what you pay for the sub £100 cameras usually are only to be classed as toys and you will more than likely be hugely dissapointed with the results.

TommyRed 15:12 03 Jan 04

Argos has some cheap digicams with high pixel rates but no optical zoom, around £99 if I remember, wasn't a known brand. I settled for a Fuji A204 2Mp and 3X optical zoom at around £150 or cheaper if you shop around, well pleased. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…