First Boot Device

Pesala 17:13 24 Jan 03

In BIOS there are options to change the order of devices to use for bootup, HDD1, CDROM, Floppy Disk, etc.

Every time my PC boots up it seeks for and fails to find the boot disk in the CDROM drive and reports a failure.

My question is, "How should I configure things to get the faster bootup" I am confident enough to change the BIOS settings back again should the need arise, e.g. if I need to bootup from the recovery CD or a startup floppy disk.

Rayuk 17:15 24 Jan 03

For speed
Hdd,Floppy,CDROM,any

BrianW 17:16 24 Jan 03

Make the first boot option the HDD with your OS on, probably HDD0 but depends on how you BIOS is configured. It should then simply boot up without accessing any other drive

Pesala 18:48 24 Jan 03

Tried this configuration in BIOS, which stops the error messages, but bootup is still slow. I will try to time it and see exactly how slow it is. About average I suspect.

Is there anything else I can do?
I am using Windows ME and msconfig list the following programs in the startup tab.

TClockEx
ScanRegistry
TaskMonitor
PCHealth
SystemTray
LoadPowerProfile
OEMCLEANUP
pdfFactory Dispatcher v1
AVG_CC
Adaptec DirectCD
LoadPowerProfile
SchedulingAgent
SSDPSRV
StateMgr
Avgserv9.exe
StillImageMonitor
DkService
CorrectConnect
EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2

woodchip 18:52 24 Jan 03

Speed it should take about a min or just under to boot to windows

Pesala 18:57 24 Jan 03

Timed bootup with above (original) configuration and recommended one (HDD-0, Floppy, CDROM), but no discernible difference.

Bootup takes about 1min 15secs on my 1Ghz AMD Athlon system. I guess I should be happy with that.

At least it does boot up!

woodchip 19:16 24 Jan 03

That's not far out, check what's starting when you boot up go to start\run and type msconfig go to startup remove things you think you do not need to start when the comp starts you cannot remove Explorer or system tray just try it as you can reenable these items If you have MSoffice fast find or such remove from start as these use lots of resources

Gongoozler 20:33 24 Jan 03

Pesala, the only thing I can add for optimum power up is to ensure that "Quick Power On Self Test" (or whatever your BIOS eqwuivalent is) is enabled. On my motherboard it is under "Advanced BIOS Features"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…