First boot of day is hanging

JYPX 12:50 22 Mar 11

Hello. I have a Novatech pc running Windows xp with a Foxconn M7VMX Motherboard. It's about 4 years old.
Recently, the first boot up of the day has started to hang. The usual screen appears saying FOXCONN with 2 options, ESC to boot menu, or DEL to setup. But instead of displaying this screen for a few seconds and then moving on, it just hangs, and there is no response from my ps/2 keyboard. After pressing the reboot switch twice or three times, the DEL key finally responds and I can then back out of setup and get a normal boot up. If I reboot later in the day I get a normal boot up without any input from me..(Is it a temperature thing?).
In the boot menu I can see an option to reset to default settings. Should I try that? Problem is I can't see an option to revert to last settings.
Also I believe there is an option on the Windows XP cd to repair the boot sector - or is that another subject altogether?
Thanks to anyone who feels able to help.

birdface 16:26 22 Mar 11

4 year old computer check that the air vents are clear of dust and fluff.
If so inside will also need cleaning out.
Maybe some of your drivers needing updated.
What security programs have you got and are you connected Via Wireless.

JYPX 17:08 22 Mar 11

Thanks for your reply buteman. It's my backup pc so has been covered up. I don't think there will be much dust but I will check. The only security is Microsoft Security Essentials and Superantispyware free. No wireless - the wireless button on my Virgin modem is switched off. I have all Windows updates including the Nvideo driver offered by windows update. Is there free software that will check all other drivers for me?
Do you think I am on the wrong track in thinking about resetting the boot menu to default?

Jim_F 17:33 22 Mar 11

Hi,

I wouldn't touch the boot sector unless you're in the position to do a clean install and if the machine can boot without this its unlikely to be the issue.

There's no harm in loading system defaults in the bios or startup but I've found this symptom is generally an indication that the PSU is on its way out as disks take more torque on a cold start. If it happens more often when you have optical disks in the drives this can nail it - one more motor spinning up to push the envelope !

Jim.

birdface 17:59 22 Mar 11

Driver Max is free but it will only update 2 drivers a day.
Not sure about the boot menu best waiting till someone can give better advice.
Could it be booting from the wrong device.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 22 Mar 11

As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

But agree with earlier post that is a classic symptom of a failing PSU.

JYPX 22:33 23 Mar 11

Thanks for all replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5