First attempt at a Website

paul654 13:56 03 Nov 05

Can anyone recommend a good site that gives step by step instruction how to build a website for total newbie's. Although I am fairly computer litterate I've never bothered making use of my free 50Mb webspace(Pipex) before, so after 3 years of total ignorance I've decided to put it to good use. The thought of HTML frightens the pants off me so I'll probably use Frontpage or similar. Any help would be very apreciated.

Forum Editor 14:37 03 Nov 05

you've made a good choice, it's an excellent program,and has the advantage of having an interface that will be fairly familiar to anyone who has used Microsoft Office. It's extremely powerful, and although you can create a basic website with relative ease it takes a while to explore the complexities and the various options. Another thing to bear in mind is the fact that you'll need to have FrontPage extensions installed on the server if you want to use the special FrontPage components - like animated buttons and discussion forums etc. You don't need to use these components of course, in which case you can publish a FP saite to any server.

Another program worth a good look is NetObjects Fusion, which many first-time web designers use. This program is very friendly, has lots of ready-to-use site themes, and will keep pace with you as you gain in experience.

Whichever program you decide on, jump in and start experimenting. You'll find that you learn as you go, and may not need to bother with tutorials. Both these programs have very comprehensive help files in any case, and you can always come here for help with anything that's not clear.

Good luck - we'll look forward to seeing your site when you're ready.

Bebee 17:33 03 Nov 05

You can download a 30 day trial of NetObjects Fusion and a pdf tutorial that runs through building a site. As a newcomer to building a site I found the time taken to do this worthwhile.

Whichever program you choose it's worth spending time getting to know it. Good Luck - I found it a lot of fun and a little frustrating at times, but very rewarding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…