firmware updates?

Lardy FB 02:54 13 Jan 04

I HAVE A MEDION TITANIUM WITH A 2X DVD WRITER, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON THE WEB FOR BLANK DVD'S FOR THIS AND MOST SITES SELL ONLY 4X AND AVISE PEOPLE WITH 2X WRITERS TO CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATES. WHAT ARE FIRMWARE UPDATES AND IF I FIND ONE FOR MY PC, WILL IT UPDATE IT TO A 4X WRITTER? ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME.

Tog 07:24 13 Jan 04

DVDROMs have a controller in much the same way as a Hard drive or a CD-RW. This controller is run by the firmware (a programme or data stored in non-volatile Memory such as EEPROM). Updating the firmaware is done for various reasons. The DVDROM may not be able to read/write 4X DVDRs properly without an upgrade. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that you'll get 4X speed from a firmware update.

A firmware update, if available, will be specifically for your DVDROM and you will have to visit the manufacturer's site to find it.

BTW Please don't write in capitals, it's the same as shouting at people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…