Firmware update for Netgear router

Dalglish2 11:26 30 May 08

Hi
I have used a Netgear 834G wireless router for nearly 4 years, left continuously on. In the last 6 months, the router occasionally drops its connection and afriend told me a frimward update could resolve this.
I am nervous this could in some way be irreversible should the upgrade go wrong and I would be left without a connection.
What are your views?
Cheers
Sam

brundle 11:33 30 May 08

Did one only yesterday, very simple. Only two dangers; getting the wrong firmware version or having a powercut during the upgrade.

You need to carefully check the model number on the underside of the router - the one I did yesterday was a v3, so I can tell you what version you require if it's the same.

Dalglish2 11:55 30 May 08

Thanks brundle.
There is no version number under the router just the MAC address and serial number. I think it was an early version is it critical to get the right version?

brundle 11:56 30 May 08

Yes, very important. Take a look here; click here

sinbads 12:11 30 May 08

This first version is labeled "DG834G" on the bottom label. (No "v1" at the end. This product is known now as the DG834Gv1, but at the time it was released, it was not realized there would be another chipset in the future.)

Firmware is interchangable with v2 only.
click here
there is a recovery should things go wrong left hand side recovery utility
click here

brundle 12:25 30 May 08

Sinbads;

Very handy, never noticed the recovery tool before

sinbads 12:35 30 May 08

I never had any problems although one of the firmware updates didn't seem too work with my system, reverting back to thr previous firmware was no problem, i allways keep the previous firmware updates, if you enter your router your version is displayed

Dalglish2 18:24 30 May 08

sorted thanks sinbads brundle!

J B 20:26 30 May 08

This seems a silly question to ask but do you need to have the Ethernet cable connected. J.B.

ambra4 20:27 30 May 08

J B

YES

J B 10:06 31 May 08

Thanks for the info. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5