firewire/usb2????what are they...

moby58 23:41 21 Mar 04

thinking of buying an external dvd..connections mentioned are usb 2 and firewire--ive got 2 usb connections on my compaq laptop 908ea....whats a usb2 and whats a firewire?....how will i know if ive got them...and what if i havent.thanks!

Forum Editor 00:00 22 Mar 04

was originally developed by Apple, and became an industry standard (IEEE -1394)known for its extremely high rate of data transfer between computers and external devices, and vice versa. It's ideally suited for use with digital video camcorders because of its high rate of transfer.

USB2 is a very much faster version of the USB1 that we've all used for some time, and can outrun Firewire in ideal conditions - it's also useful for camcorders, high-density storage devices and high-resolution scanners.

byfordr 00:35 22 Mar 04

Firewire is also known as i-link by Sony

Firewire 400mbps
USB2 480mbps
USB 12mbps

How to check for usb2 click here

If you don't have firewire or usb2 then it will run at usb speeds.

HTH

R

moby58 11:28 22 Mar 04

so i can still plug a dvd rewriter[external]into my normal usb connection and it will work?it just wont run at usb2 speed??

byfordr 16:47 22 Mar 04

You can still plug it in, it will just run at very slow speeds. It may be worth your while to see how much it would cost to upgrade your laptop with usb2 or firewire.

R

byfordr 23:31 23 Mar 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…