Firewire/camcorder woes...

nick_j007 16:36 20 Jun 06

Hello all.

I have a lovely new Dell 9150, and purchased from Ebuyer this Firewire card that has x4 USB and x2 Firewire connections. click here
I have spent the last two or three days trying to get my PC to hold the feed from my (ageing) Panasonic mini DV camcorder model no. NV-DS5.
So far no software has been able to maintain the link. I have downloaded Ulead 10 and Adobe Premier elements 2. These along with Windows own movie software will not capture and the camera will break the connection (or I'm thinking it's my Firewire card).
Last night I was able to go some way further in establishing the source of the problem as I borrowed my neighbour's pretty up to date Sony camcorder model DCR PC110E and I experienced all the same problems as I did when using my own machine.

95% of the comments on Ebuyer are very positive about the card, and I have also tried another cable and the same occurs.

I am reasonably competent on my machines, but drivers I find tricky. Is it worth me uninstalling this card and using the drivers in the pack...can someone walk me through that if you think it's worth my while?
Also, the driver CD has so much on it I am unsure what to load and what not to.

Or should I just plumb for returning the card full stop? I would prefer to find a quicker solution within my settings, but realise this may not be possible.

I should also add that the USB sockets on this card work fine, and that my camcorder will cooperate fine on my older XP laptop.

I am of course at this point disappointed that my new desktop will not play ball with all this kit as it is ready with masses of RAM and processing power!

Yours in hope,

Nick

johndrew 16:46 20 Jun 06

You could try Pinnacle Studio Plus click here they also have software for camcorder/PC/camcorder editing.

It could be a driver problem as well. You can get help for Pinnacle from webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read_messages.asp?WebboardID=1&ForumID=1112&SectionID=227&ThreadID=219400&ThreadStart=0&Pos=0&cntThread=219&lng=1 and generally from click here

Hope it helps.

nick_j007 16:53 20 Jun 06

Thanks johndrew, but I really feel that trying three sets of software already has to be enough (?)

Will check your links out though thank you.

Nick

silverous 17:34 20 Jun 06

..that either there is a problem with the cable, or, that the card isn't 'seated' firmly?

silverous 17:36 20 Jun 06

Presumably your cable is ok on laptop and the USB connections working suggest the card is ok. I'd return the card and try different one - ideally from different manufacturer also. Does it need to have USB? Keep it simple and get a firewire card if you don't need the USB.

nick_j007 19:22 20 Jun 06

Reseated the card last night...no change.

The extra USB sockets have been very handy as I have an alarming amout of USB plugs to place! A number of things I use don't like being in a hub.

I think a replacement card is on the horizon then. Different manufacturer too yes.

Any other thoughts peeps?

Cheers,

Nick

nick_j007 10:26 22 Jun 06

Is that the card must be faulty, so Ebuyer are taking at back and will refund me under the 28 days (I was in on the 28th day!!).
They will test it and refund...if they find a fault! of course once they get it there it will work 100%.

I shall plumb for a Belkin quality job and hope that it solves the issue.

LAST QUESTION...
How do I uninstall the old card in terms of the drivers etc?
Or should I simply remove it and plug the new one in?

Cheers,

Nick

nick_j007 12:00 22 Jun 06

Ignore the LAST QUESTION as I shall post it up fresh now.

Thread closed thanks.

woodchip 12:38 22 Jun 06

Questions If this after a while downloading video to the drive. Is you Hard Drive NTFS or Fat32 Format? you can find out by double click My Computer right click C:\Drive. If Fat32 it will cut the video at 4gb as that's all fat32 does. But with Pinnacle it just cuts it into files 4gb in size and does keep going

nick_j007 13:19 22 Jun 06

HDD is NTFS.

Very pleased to say that I have come back from PC World (I know), and bought a posh Belkin card that is now working like a charm.

Moral of the story?

Don't be a bloomin' cheap skate on extra's.

Thanks again to those that offered the suggestions and ideas.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…