Firewire and USB Hub

clo2_clo 21:58 21 May 06

Hi i purchased a firewire external hard disk drive, then realised my computer doesnt have a firewire port.

I've heard than i can purchase a hub which i connect through a usb port, and i can then use firewire devices on my PC. I have been told that i can purchase a PCI slot but i dont have any free spaces on my PC at the moment and dont want to lose them.

Is this suitable or possible?

I also wonder if anyone will be able to help me find one online for a reasonable price so that i can use this hard drive ive bought. I need the help so that i dont get it wrong again.

Anybody know what to do????
Many thanks, Chloe

woodchip 22:16 21 May 06

Looks like somethings got to go or change

clo2_clo 22:17 21 May 06

yer but which one i dont know which one to take out, cant i get a hub

john-232317 22:36 21 May 06

Yeah but a hub has to plug into something and if you want to run firewire off it, then I assume it would have to be plugged into a firewire card, so you might just as well get a card. How come you have no space for one ?

woodchip 22:37 21 May 06

Well I have looked for Adapter but don't think they make one

clo2_clo 22:39 21 May 06

dunno its about 5 yrs old my pc but was quite good when we bought it, its got an ethernet pci slot, surround sound, one with the monitor in n another one wit nuttin plugged in.

spose cud use that one??

Totally-braindead 22:45 21 May 06

Perhaps someone has heard of something like that but I certainly haven't. As far as I know the only way you can add firewire is either to buy a new motherboard which has firewire built in, which is a bit extreme really, or buy a PCI firewire card.

If you have no PCI slots left as you said then the choices are remove one of your devices or sell the hard drive and buy a USB 2.0 one.

Totally-braindead 22:47 21 May 06

It took me a while to type the above. If you do have a spare slot then just use that. You said in your first posting you had no slots free. So which is it?

clo2_clo 22:48 21 May 06

i cud take the one out thats not got anything plugged in and use that cudnt i

sry i only jus pulled it out to have a look

are they easy to install?

skidzy 22:49 21 May 06

As the others have said,im sure you need a Firewire card to have firewire working,this may give you an idea for future reference...its a combo hub and if i have understood correctly this needs to connect to the firewire card first.Not sure if this helps,but thought i would post anyway.
click here

woodchip 22:52 21 May 06

One screw hold's a PCI card in a white slot inside the computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…