firewire usb external drive disappears from mycomp

parauk 10:48 23 Nov 03

i have purchased a external 120gb drive which is connected by firewire or usb
my problem is that after formatting the drive works and shows up in mycomputer, i can write to it and all works fine, while pc is on i can disconect drive and reconnect it no problem, but when i turn pc off and then start up again the drive does not show up in my computer. even if i disconect firewire cable and reconnect it still does not show. all above is with it connected via firewire.
when it is not showing by the firewire connection ,i can connect it by usb and it shows up.
if i reformat the drive vis usb then afterwards it shows up by firewire conection till i turn pc of then its dissapeared again. please can any one help me with this problem thanks dave

Djohn 11:33 23 Nov 03

Have you installed the drive and software in the correct order? With USB it is important to install the software first, then connect the hardware to the PC.

If you haven't, then remove all reference to your drive from the PC via "Add/Remove programs, install the software driver, then connect the drive to your PC the "Found new hardware wizard" will come up and find the drive, it should now work fine each time you connect it to the PC. j.

A_World_Maker 11:49 23 Nov 03

when the drive is detected with the firewire connection, in windows, have you checked the device in Device Manager? and yellow exclamation marks or red crosses? Does it state the drive is working correctly and enabled in all hardware environments?

parauk 14:56 23 Nov 03

the usb is working thats not the problem
but i cant just use the usb as it is to slow
i have again reformated the drive and it shows up in my computer and works fine. the problem is that as soon as i write files to it by copying or moving from my hard drives in my pc than all is ok till i turn pc off then when i restart the drive is missing from my computer on the firewire cable. if i connect vie usb cable it is there in my computer.
and yes it shows up fine in device manager till i turn pc off then when i reboot is missing

MichelleC 15:43 23 Nov 03

Try changing your firewire driver (you should have choice of 2).

parauk 15:47 23 Nov 03

how do i change the firewire driver???

parauk 18:21 23 Nov 03

thanks for your help i have now sorted it.( i hope)
i went into the properties of the disk and under policies i changed the options from.
optimize for quick removal---- to
optimize for performance.enable write caching,
this has sorted it i hope as no problems so far

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…