Firewire to USB Converter?

AFoxyLady 15 Apr 12
Answered

Hi have an external CD, and the firewire cable power plug etc that all came supplied, when i bought it a few years ago. I now have a both a net book and laptop, that do not have any firewire connections. Is it possible to get a Firewire cable one end with a USB connection the other end?

I want to be able to watch Video Tutorials that are supplied on a disk on the netbook,and be able to work on the laptop. The netbook does not have a cd / dvd drive.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Nontek 15 Apr 12
  AFoxyLady 15 Apr 12

Thanks, but I already have one of those , and it only works with a camera. The small connector fits into any one of several of the cameras that I have.

I need a converter perhaps that I could put the fire wire in (female) and the opposite end would then be a USB. Having read much older threads it wasn't possible, but as technology has moved on, perhaps USB 2 would have enough power.

Neither the laptop or netbook has any pcmi (?)slots in either, as I also have a card converter, which I originally used on my old laptop when I bought the external cd.....

Back to the drawing board.

Nontek: the customer reviews aren't exactly positive... :-(

johndrew 15 Apr 12
Answer

You mean something like these? You need to determine which is your preferred solution, but most are relatively inexpensive.

Thinking about it, I struggle to believe that a simple cable can do the job. Surely, USB and FireWire use different protocols - so the FireWire device would be sending signals that the USB port wouldn't understand? I'd think it was more about logical connectivity than physical connectivity - so you'd need some sort of converter. I'm probably wrong...

AFoxyLady 15 Apr 12

Just found this!

Think it will work, and for the price, I guess I can't really go wrong....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIREWIRE-1394-6-PIN-FEMALE-TO-USB-MALE-ADAPTOR-IEEE-/280780682559?pt=UKComputingCablesConnectorsRL&hash=item415fd5353f#ht1228wt_1402

AFoxyLady 15 Apr 12

Ok Guys and Gals - How do I now tick its resolved!

Reading another thread it said to the right of Likes where I posted the first question.... But I can't have the correct glasses on cos I just can't find anywhere it says "Resolved"

Sorry Blonde numpty here.......

john bunyan 15 Apr 12

On the right, just tick a tick that you like - it should go from grey to green (then "post") - you appear do have done that on johndrew's answer

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message