//some 3rd party need geo

Firewire to USB

clo2_clo 16:37 02 May 06

Hey i purchased an external firewire harddrive from ebay recently, stupidly not realising my pc doesnt have a firewire port. Is there a way for me to convert this into a USB port?

Ive read on the net that its not entirely useless and that i can get some sort of hub which doesnt convert the firewire into a USB but makes them work together or summit.

Has anybody got any ideas?
Where do i get one of these and how much will it set me back?
Is it even possible???

Any ideas much appreciated, many thanks Chloe

DieSse 16:50 02 May 06

The simplest way would be to get a firewire card - avoids any hassles and probably cheaper too and readily available. Example :-

click here

clo2_clo 17:22 02 May 06

oh rite so all i do is put it in the slot in the back, is it hard? any software or anythng needed????

DieSse 17:33 02 May 06

If you need software, it'll come with it.

Yes - you just plug the card into a free slot - it'll be a PCI card - just make sure you have PCI slots and not PCI express slots.

Make sure the mains is SWITCHED OFF or UNPLUGGED before you do nything inside the machine - just switching off from the front is not enough.

PS - if it's a laptop it's even simpler - just plug it into the slot.

clo2_clo 17:37 02 May 06

oh ok thanks, its a desktop, i dont think i have a free slot, can i jus replace one im not currently using with this one.

whats the diff between a pci slot and a pci express slot??? how do i tell them apart

sorry bout all the questions wanna make sure i know what im doing

DieSse 17:57 02 May 06

*i dont think i have a free slot, can i jus replace one im not currently using with this one.*

Yes.

PCIe slots have only been around for a year or so. If in any doubt, download SIW and it's tell you

click here

Visual check

click here

clo2_clo 18:05 02 May 06

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…