Firewire Port but no Header on Motherboard !

Dervy 15:10 20 Nov 05

Hi, I have a Firewire port on the case front but there is no header on the motherboard to receive the connecting cable ! Is there a cable I can get which will connect the front port to the internal firewire port of a firewire / usb PCI card ???

Many thanks,

Dervy.

ACOLYTE 16:06 20 Nov 05

If there is no header on the mobo i cant see how it will work,if you have the modo manual it may tell you in there where the cable goes.

GaT7 17:24 20 Nov 05

I think if you get a PCI firewire card with an *internal* connector, like this one click here, the front firewire cable can be connected to this.

Before purchasing contact the seller or let someone else confirm this.

More of the same click here / click here / click here
++/Component+Shop+Cards/STARTECH/PCI1394+4/034352 / click here. G

GaT7 17:25 20 Nov 05

PCWorld link again click here. G

Dervy 16:37 23 Nov 05

Thanks all for your feedback, I'm advised by my local supplier that I would need a new motherboard with a firewire header to connect the front port to. Ah well, had to buy a firewire pci card to resolve problem, but it's still a shame that the front port is now redundant.

Thanks again, I'll tick this as now resolved.

ade.h 17:10 23 Nov 05

If your PCI card does have an internal header, as in Crossbow7's link, it's quite possible that it will fit.

The thing with internal USB/Firewire headers is that they sometimes have a different pin order and the blank is sometimes in the wrong place.

This can be quite easily rectified if you can get information about the colour coding of the wires from your case manufacturer (may well be Lian Li for example) and info about the pin order from your PCI card manufacturer.

I've had to re-wire a few headers like this in the past, and it works fine as long as you get the right order. That's very important.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5