Firewire pins 4 or 6?

powertool 19:45 13 Oct 04

Excuse my ignorance, but am I right in saying that some firewire sockets are 4 pin, some are 6, and that the extra 2 carry power?

Are all firewire plugs able to fit any firewire socket, like DIN plugs? or are there really two sorts of firewire plugs which are incompatible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bremner 20:09 13 Oct 04

Yes there are two types that are not inter- exchangeable.

You can buy adapters.

It tends to be the case that the PC end is 6 pin and the appliance is 4 pin or 6 pin. It is therefore important to ensure you have the correct lead.

JonnyTub 20:12 13 Oct 04

just a note to add, 4 pin are usually not powered and 6 pin usually are.

JonnyTub 20:14 13 Oct 04

On the same note, i only found this out today when reading my ipod manual, the ipod won,t charge but will connect on my laptop (4 pin) and charges and connects on desktop (6pin), so the extra 2 cables would suggest they carry power.

powertool 20:30 13 Oct 04

that's really helpful.

LPB 17:50 28 Mar 05

Does anyone know where you can get an adaptor from? I've searched without much success. From looking at my sister's ipod they only supply you with a 6pin cable, yet my laptop has a 4pin port. I can't use USB because unfortunately it doesn't have USB2.

bremner 18:02 28 Mar 05

The iPod comes with a 4 -6 pin adapter

LPB 18:17 28 Mar 05

Which version comes with the adaptor? Every available spec for the ipod (it's the 20gb model I'm looking at buying) I can find on apple's website says that it requires a seperate adaptor if you want to plug it into a 4pin port.
Thanks

bremner 19:40 28 Mar 05

I have a 20GB and a mini and both came with the adapter

LPB 22:52 28 Mar 05

I have found an appropriate adaptor on Amazon, should the ipod not come with it (and my sister's didn't, so I have to be prepared for that!)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…