Firewire on PCI card different to Firewire on mobo

NormanD 22:37 13 Feb 05

Hello all - Does anybody know why I cannot connect my Minolta film scanner to my PC using the Firewire connection on a PCI card. I am running Win 98SE. Minolta say that I must use the USB connection and can only use Firewire if I am using Win XP and Firewire is running from the mobo. I am not doubting that they are right, I just wondered why.
Many thanks
Norman

LeadingMNMs 22:46 13 Feb 05

I haven't used a Firewire port but I would suspect that it will not be compatible with 98, though someone may know different.

However, I fail to see that it would matter whether the port were onboard or a PCI Card.

LeadingMNMs 22:48 13 Feb 05

Hmm, just checked and it would appear that Firewire is compatible with 98 - So in answer to your original question, I have no idea.

dan11 22:57 13 Feb 05

Yes I have used firewire on windows 98se. This was for a samsung digital camcorder. This was also through a pci firewire card, but this needed the drivers from the firewire card to work.

Could it be that the manufactures have not written any firewire drivers for 98, just usb ones? But why is it that only a motherboard firewire port can only be used in XP~~

NormanD 23:07 14 Feb 05

Thanks for your replies, sorry it took so long to reply. Like you LeadingMNMs I have used Firewire with 98SE when downloading / uploaing digital video from Sony PC100E camcorder and don't understand why I can't use the scanner. The point raise about the manufacturer maybe not writing drivers for Firewire with 98SE I will take up with Minolta and see what they say. Once again thanks for your replies - Norman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…