Firewire Not Working - XP Home Edition

timster 18:03 30 Sep 07

I run XP Home Edition on my Gateway desktop unit. After working for well over a year, my Epson R2400 Photo Printer was no longer recognized. The printer was connected via a Firewire connection. I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver but it didn't help. The printer also has a USB connection which I tried and the computer found the printer with no problem. I don't have any other Firewire devices to try and see if it is the printer or the computer.

Has anyone ever heard of a Firewire port stop working like this? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 30 Sep 07

Any errors in device manager?

timster 18:30 30 Sep 07

there is no error message. When reinstalling the driver the installation software states that it cannot locate the printer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 30 Sep 07

I'm assummig you have the printer connected and poweres up when installing the driver?

Does it load in device manager as IEEE 1394 Bus host controller?

woodchip 19:01 30 Sep 07

In Device Manager right Click on IEEE 1394 and uninstall, Reboot then try the printer when it as found and reloaded Firewire

timster 17:33 01 Oct 07

Thanks for the responses. The printer was powered up and the cable was installed. I checked in the device manager and the IEEE 1394 Bus host controller was installed. Per woodchip's suggestion I uninstalled the controller and then rebooted. Still no luck.

I was looking on the Microsoft knowledge base and found an article that discussed a problem when you have two or more Firewire devices hooked up that may have similar numbers (don't remember what type of number they said). Apparently there is a hotfix that you have to call Microsoft in order to get. For some reason they don't just make it available for download.

I'll let you know if that works.

If anyone has used this hotfix I would be curious to know if it worked.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced