Firewire and Laptop connectivity

bigrad 12:54 24 Mar 08

I have just bought a new Laptop running Vista, having used a PC running XP for years. I used to transfer video from my sony camcorder via firewire to the PC and use Movie Maker to edit it. My laptop does not have a firewire port, but at the time this didnt seem to matter as Sony said "use the USB cable provided to connect to the laptop" Now I'm being told that Vista does not support USB streaming or transfer and having tried it that seems to be the case. The question now is can I import raw video for editing from my camcorder through USB some other way? I did think of connecting the 1394 firewire to a spare USB port using a suitable adaptor, but I dont want to fry anything. Sony has gone very quiet on me so now I'm a bit unsure what to do without wrecking something. Is there a simple answer to this or do I have to try and get a firewire connector / card installed? Many thanks.

Technotiger 13:18 24 Mar 08

Add Firewire ports the easy way ... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…