Firewire Connection

Dirk Diggler 19:34 05 Jul 04

Okay, heres the deal! I am looking to get into the wonderful world of digital camcorders (holiday coming up) and I want to be able to do all the editing and stuff on the PC. I have found out that I will need a firewire connection / socket! Question is, how do I find out if I have one as I dont know what to look for? Daft as it may seem I know! Also, if I havent got one, how easy / cheap is it to get one? All help appreciated! Thanks

bremner 19:38 05 Jul 04

In Device Manager look under Network Adapters and see if there is an entry for an 1394 Net Adapter if there is you've got firewire.

On a desktop it will be a rectangular connection with one end rounded aboot 1cm in length.

Diodorus Siculus 19:41 05 Jul 04

click here for a look!

Also have a look at device manager - it will tell you. They come in two sizes - 4 and 6 pin but I don't know any more...

Diodorus Siculus 19:41 05 Jul 04
  ed-o 20:09 05 Jul 04

Most firewire connections on the rear of the pc will be 6 pin. Most firewire connections on digital cameras are 4 pin.

In the unlikely event that you have a firewire port already on your motherboard you will need one of these. click here

They come with a simple to install pci card. The 6pin to 4pin cable to connect to the camcorder and a basic software package to get you editing straight away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…