Firewire cable

  jz 23:37 28 Aug 03

I need to buy a firewire cable to connect my digital camcorder (which I plan to buy) to my firewire card. Looking though some on-line shops, there are 4-wire/6-wire cables, and there are 6-wire/6-wire cables. Which one do I need

  Giantsquid 00:03 29 Aug 03

Read your Camera spec, and if at all possible buy the cable that will give you the most options (long term) then again what do you want to do ? and what is your system capable of ? I have a 4/6 cable and it does all I want to do IE: transfer data to my computer after that it is onto editing,burning etc,

  temp003 03:12 29 Aug 03

There are 2 types of firewire "socket" or port, 6-pin and 4-pin. As a result, there are 3 types of firewire cables (6 to 6, 4 to 4, and 4 to 6). Which is the right cable just depends the size of the sockets at either end.

Usually a digital camcorder has a 4 pin socket.

At the computer end, desktop computers usually use 6-pin sockets, while laptops/notebooks use 4 pin sockets.

Since you're talking about a firewire "card", which sounds to me like a PCI card, then it's most probably 6-pin.

Most likely you'll need a 4 to 6 cable. But check the sockets before you buy the cable. A 6-pin socket is much larger than a 4 pin socket. You'll notice the difference.

  jz 22:46 30 Aug 03


Looks like I need a 4-wire to 6-wire cable. Out of curiosity, what do the extra 2 wires of the 6-wire socket do?

  jazzypop 23:52 30 Aug 03

The 2 extra wires are power wires. Self-powered devices (like cameras) don't need them.

click here for detailed explanation

  jz 23:38 31 Aug 03

Thanks jazzypop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…