Firewalls and Win32 kernel core.....

canute44 17:02 17 Dec 03

Having followed recent discussions on firewalls I have just installed Sygate Personal Firewall Free Edition. Having also read other people's queries about Win32 kernel etc wishing to access the internet and automatically being refused permission by the firewall, my question is - What is win32 kernel and why is it trying to get on the internet?

spikeychris 17:55 17 Dec 03
  canute44 18:11 17 Dec 03

Thanks for that but I had read it last night and taken the recommended action but I still get the messages saying that it has been blocked. I do not fully understand why the thing should be trying to make outside contact from my PC. Am I thick?

spikeychris 18:41 17 Dec 03

What message are you receiving?

canute44 21:02 17 Dec 03

Sorry for the long delay in replying but mealtimes and chores plus a PC crash have come between! The message which kept appearing (until I clicked on "don't show me this message again") was to the effect that "Win32 kernel core or core component has been blocked trying to connect to the internet". There was no question of agreeing or not agreeing to the action. Reading Sygate's FAQs led me to the area you pointed at and I thought OK this action I will take and see what happens. No change, the messages kept appearing bottom right of screen every few minutes. Now of course the messages do not appear. Nowhere have I found what the application is or why it is trying to make contact with the outside world although I understand what the possible reason is from Sygate's site. My curiosity is aroused that's all. By the way my OS is Windows Me. Another effect of installing SPF is that quite often now on clicking on the Favourites button in IE 5.5 the button vanishes and the system crashes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…