Firewalls on a network...

_plAsma 14:15 25 Aug 04

Right, i currently use a BT Voyager router with a firewall built in. I would like to buy Kerio's WinRoute firewall and place it on my server. The reason for this is user authenticAtion, bandwith limits for each user, http scanning etc. Basically i would have more control over my networks internet access.

The question i am putting forward to you is - Is it worth it? I have heard from many people software firewalls are _not_ a good choice and to stick with hardware. Any ideas?

Secondly, if i was to use Kerio's WinRoute i am thinking i would have to set it as the gateway and then connect up a USB modem to that PC (WinRoute also acts as a router serving my connection to other pc's on the network). Am i able to simply disable my routers firewall and somehow use WinRoute with the router. I wouldnt mind keeping my router as the modem, 'hub' device, Wireless Access Point and the actuall router. I just want to get rid of the firewall on it and use this software which enables me to have users.

Please guide me to wether i should keep my hARdware, move to the software, which is better, if there is any better software for the job etc

Thanks Very Much,
Mike

_plAsma 16:48 26 Aug 04

Any Help, Please?

I know this question may be confusing but the main thing i am asking is software firewalls reliable or should i stick with hardware?

Rigga 17:10 26 Aug 04

Not 100% sure about this, but can't you run both firewalls?

If you point your networked machines at your domain controller as the gateway, then have your DC, re-route the traffic as appropriate, for bandwidth limits etc, out to your router.

Anyway, To answer your main q. SW firewalls are not as good as a good hardware firewall, in basically with a good hardware firewall, to anyone on the outside of your network you just don't exist. If setup correctly obv. I'm sure others will have a view on this....

HTH. R.

_plAsma 17:17 26 Aug 04

"If you point your networked machines at your domain controller as the gateway, then have your DC, re-route the traffic as appropriate, for bandwidth limits etc, out to your router. "

I guess i could just change the default gateway to the software and then the software uses the router for the internet...i think..

If hardware is the way to go, can anybody recommend a good hardware router and firewall that is wireless? Also perhaps with a removable 'arial' to replace with a better one..

Anyway, thanks for your reply Rigga..

Over and out,
_plAsma

_plAsma 23:01 27 Aug 04

^bump^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…