Firewalls - how many do I need

JustinJSY 20:29 01 Dec 03

I use XP Professional with a Westell broadband modem connection to the internet. I have activated the XP firewall, but have just discovered using the modem configeration that it too has a firewall. Do I need to use both of them? The modem firewall seems to cause problems with some of my web applications.

dazzling (work) 20:33 01 Dec 03

use the modem firewall it will be better than xp's just disable that.if you dont want to use the modems get zone alarm or sygate both free see earlier posting on this site.darren

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:11 01 Dec 03
  Djohn 21:15 01 Dec 03

As dazzling (work) says, use just the modem one. The fact you are having problems at the moment is most likely due to the fact you have two firewalls running, and not a fault with the modem's firewall. j.

JustinJSY 11:49 13 Dec 03

Thanks for all your help.

I've tried the two existing firewalls independantly and the modem one seems to cause the most problems, especially when downloading MP3s or sending IMs via AOL. The XP Professional one seems to work ok, although I am concerned that it might not be as effective.

For the time being I'll stick with the XP one, but will try your suggestions when I have a chance.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…