Firewalls on a home PC - worth the hassle?

TimCDC 11:44 24 Jan 04

I'm running Zone Alarm 4.5 on a family PC. Recently it has frequently blocked off access to the internet, saying the conditions are similar to those of me being hacked. Sometimes the only way I have found to restore access has been to uninstall and then re-install it again, which is becoming a bit of a hassle! Just now, something shut down the TrueVector engine, and access was again denied, although this was just a matter of re-booting.
On the one hand, its great that it is protecting me so actively from hacking and trojans. On the other hand, its a real hassle having to reinstall so frequently, and I know some would say that the chances of anyone being interested in hacking a home pc are very slim.
I'm wondering about either not bothering to run ZA or switching to another freebie. Any views out there?

Jester2K 11:50 24 Jan 04

Try Sygate Personal Firewall click here for free.

I only use one to monitor wahts going out and ignore all the incoming requests...

christmascracker 11:53 24 Jan 04

I get the same problems as you with ZA, quite frequently too which is a bit of a pain I agree. At the moment I'm running without one until I can find one which is less of a pain

SantasLittleHelper 11:54 24 Jan 04

I agree with Jester2K, I have been using Sygate Firewall for about 2 years now, after problems with Zone Alarm. I have found it to be trouble free, suggest you give it a try, it will cost you nothing.

TimCDC 11:59 24 Jan 04

so I will nip over and download. Related to this, my kids use games that have the Wild Tangent Driver. I've seen stuff that says this is prone to harvesting system info and sending it back home, so I have always denied access when it tries to phone home. (If I remove it using Adaware, then the programs no longer run). Is this sufficient protection?

georgemac 12:14 24 Jan 04

I too use sygate - it is excellent and free - highly recommended

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:22 24 Jan 04

I have used both and i have to say IMHO that i like ZA the best never had any major probs with it and those i have had i have sorted pretty quickly it depends on your setup and choices,i did like sygate but the dll handling feature put me off it was always popping up at inopportune moments even when i turned the feature off.

Regards.

Chegs ® 14:26 24 Jan 04

The problems I had with ZA meant I changed over to Outlook,but found it a bit of a nuicance to setup games access.I then tried Sygate,then changed over to Kerio.I have used this for mths now.

sattman 15:25 24 Jan 04

Running Windows ME. Noting the improvement to my computor after removing ZA I am reluctant to reinstall.

I have heard many arguments of the risks and many who say that the risk is negligible.

I never found it easy to set up but maybe I missed something, as I remember it primarily asked you to allow programs access and most of the time this was for programmes you were using so it was simmply a yes.

ZA prevented system restore and No matter what I tried I could not get the Norton Antivirus automatic downloads to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…