Firewalls for a home network

nkosi 17:34 08 Dec 04

Just looking for somebody more knowledgeable than me to explain types of firewall. I have a two-computer wireless network with a broadband modem router. It has a hardware firewall which apparently requires no action from me. I also have zone alarm installed on both computers because I like the way it checks on programs connecting out to the internet and it is a visible security device.

However, if I want to share files I have to disable zone alarm to allow the two computers to recognise each other. When I then re-enable zone alarm it blocks my internet access unless I reboot and it loads during windows start up.

My question(s). How does the hardware firewall work and is it as secure as a regularly updated software one? Am I safe enough leaving zone alarm disabled after a networking session?

Taw® 19:19 08 Dec 04

nkosi ZA free version does not work with networking, you need to purchase the pro version for that.

The hardware firewall is much more secure than the software types. Your computer will be safer.

nkosi 20:04 08 Dec 04

So is there any benefit in purchasing zone alarm pro - or should I just delete zone alarm and rely entirely on the hardware firewall?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…