Firewalls-Do I need one ?

Channel 18:57 30 Nov 03

I'm confused about whether or not I should install a firewall.I don't have broadband,and understood a firewall only to be necessary with an "always on " connection; but have read a mag article implying everyone should have one.I have Windows 98SE.If I install one,do I still need AdAware or similar spyware remover, or does a firewall stop these too ?

VoG II 19:07 30 Nov 03

You are probably less at risk with a dial up connection and it really is up to you whether you think a firewall is necessary. It can't do any harm to try one - for example Zone Alarm (the free one) click here

You should still keep AdAware - spyware gets through firewalls.

Terrahawk 19:25 30 Nov 03

if you are online for exrended periods of time then it may be worth while but if the connection is just used for picking up email and such like (short periods of time) i wouldn't worry to much

As VOG has said won't do any harm to try

Diodorus Siculus 19:32 30 Nov 03

To me, the greatest value of the firewall is to see what is trying to connect to the net and then to block it if I don't want it to do so.

Belatucadrus 20:42 30 Nov 03

If you do use a fire wall turn off the detection warnings, they have a tendency to report innocent net traffic as attacks and only cause rampant paranoia.
On the other hand they can also cut out messenger spam popups so are useful in other ways.

Free Firewalls :- Kerio2 click here Sygate click here .

Besides prevention is always better than cure, you probably aren't going to be hacked. But that's not going to be any consolation if you are.

spud 21:58 30 Nov 03

Go to google and type in "shields up" run the test to check your ports you'll be surprised at the results,the information your pc is giving out without a firewall,then download the excellent and free zone alarm as vog suggested.You must have a firewall

A_World_Maker 22:14 30 Nov 03

One of the benefits of using a firewall (not the XP free one) is that many monitor programmes actually using your other computer/programmes to send info to spammers. It also helps in protecting you against trojans, backdoor programmes and some types of viruses.

Get used to using one now, and if you change to Boradband later, you won't find it a task then.

Djohn 22:20 30 Nov 03

I'm using Broadband and though I have AVG, Spybot and ad-aware installed, I do not as yet use a Firewall, not even XP's own built in one.

I was going to use Zone alarm but after reading a thread a couple of weeks back in which both FE and GANDALF <|:-)> said they did not use one, and gave the reasons why, I thought I would do the same. j.

©®@$? 22:41 30 Nov 03

i suppose it depends which websites you goto

if your clean cut and browse the internet for legitamite things the chances are you will get away with not having a firewall

but if you do the opposite, use p2p,download from dodgey websites the chances are you will need a firewall

plus if you pick virus's along way then a firewall is good to stop anything going out onto the internet..

personally i would go for a firewall just for the peace of mind

there has been many topics of this sort in the past..and gandlaf seems to thing that you will never get hacked being a home-user,as the data on your machine is not of any intrest to a true hacker

this holds true,but in some instances i have found through chat rooms, that home-users do get targeted and that is just for malicious so called fun..a rookey hacker would not be able to go and hack a company or whatever, they have to learn and what is the best way to learn, but to target vulnerable users just for a taste

if your clean cut and browse the internet for legitamite things the chances are you will get away with not having a firewall

but if you do the opposite, use p2p,download from dodgey websites the chances are you will need a firewall

plus if you pick virus's along way then a firewall is good to stop anything going out onto the internet..

there has been many topics of this sort in the past..and gandlaf seems to thing that you will never get hacked being a home-user,as the data on your machine is not of any intrest to a true hacker

this holds true,but in some instances i have found through chat rooms, that home-users do get targeted and that is just for malicious so called fun..a rookey hacker would not be able to go and hack a company or whatever, they have to learn and what is the best way to learn, but to target vulnerable users just for a taste

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…