fIREWALLS

LAPTOPBABE 23:20 23 Nov 08

I have avg free edition and spybot and a router with wpa security, do I need windows firewall turned on at all? Often wondered decided to ask!

woodchip 23:26 23 Nov 08

Up to you, I don't use one. Only have the router Firewall that stops incoming. but if you are paranoid I suggest you use one to stop outgoing also. i.e not windows one.

LAPTOPBABE 09:37 24 Nov 08

What I meant was, I have read that you should only have 1 firewall, and as I keep losing my aol connection now and again I wondered if it might be that. It is one of the things aol have asked me to look at to try to solve my problem. Microsoft make you feel so guilty when you go to switch it off I usualy decide not to! I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb you should follow.

DieSse 10:49 24 Nov 08

Yes - you need a firewall. Ignore the siren voices that you can rely on a hardware one, or don't really need one. At the very minimum the Windows one switched on.

It's not a problem to have a hardware router based firewall, plus a software one - in fact it's pretty normal.

Better and free Comodo or Sunbelt/Kerio.

Comodo are now doing an all-in-one AV/Firewall/etc.

This will almost certainly be a better AV than the AVG free version (which omits certain vital protections).

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos