Firewalls

Damarc 10:44 12 Jul 08

I saw the post re Microsoft Updates and ZoneAlarm and that someone had recommended Comodo with a link to a list of firewall product reviews. I downloaded Comodo which I have to say is a bit daunting to a comparative novice as I don't know whether some files are iffy or not from the popups, especially the red banded ones.

I also later bought and installed Norton ISS and the red banded popup security alerts from Comodo came thick and fast but as I was installing I accepted them all.

I now have two questions.
When I had the ZA security alerts I normally understood them and so did my husband who usually refused every one of them! However with Comodo I think he'll be even more confused and may refuse some that are needed. I don't suppose there is a way of refining the refusal or acceptance of these alerts. There are quite a few of them. Coming onto here gave me another six alerts though it might have been because you were the first site I came on, I just don't know. Is it a pretty safe bet to allow the amber ones through and refuse the red ones unless I'm actually installing stuff. The red alerts were mainly to do with registry changes which I presume are needed on installation.

Secondly, and sorry for this long post. Another response to one of my posts said that running two firewalls might cause problems. So far I haven't had a problem with Norton and Comodo. I would like to keep both as Norton doesn't seem very good on the firewall front but don't want to store up problems for myself. I had enough panic over my right arm being cut off by no internet access through MS updates and ZA. VBG

birdface 10:55 12 Jul 08

I downloaded Comodo which I have to say is a bit daunting to a comparative novice as I don't know whether some files are iffy or not from the popups, especially the red banded ones.
If you are not sure about what to save or remove.may I suggest Kerio Firewall free. Just download it in simple mode and you are not bothered with pop-ups.They were doing a special deal last month the full version for £5 but don't know if it is still available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…