Firewalls

crespo 04:02 11 Aug 06

Hey all! This is Crespo calling needing a little advice and opinion on firewalls. I'm running Windows XP firewall & would like to upgrade to something a bit beefier. I'm torn between the free ZoneAlarm software & Agonitum Outpost that's come on a dvd with some computer magazine.I'd really like some help with this, being a newbie & all that. Any info will be v. appreciated. Cheers. C.

€dstowe 06:39 11 Aug 06

ZoneAlarm is very widely used but, I find its "building site" interface obrusive. I did use Outpost and found it quite OK until one day it decided to stop working for me.

At present, I use Sygate Personal Firewall click here which I had for a very long time now and which quietly does its job without too much fuss.

FelixTCat 06:49 11 Aug 06

crespo,

Zone Alarm is widely recognised as the best personal firewall (see most magazine reviews) but on normal settings it can be obtrusive, which some find annoying. For example, every time you install an upgrade it will pop up several times to tell you that components are being altered and asking for permission. It will then ask if the new version can access the internet.

I find this reassuring, but some find it a pain.

Regards,

Felix

Belatucadrus 13:54 11 Aug 06

click here Sunbelt Kerio is excellent.

ade.h 14:40 11 Aug 06

It certainly is. I've tried the good, the bad and the ugly in firewalls; Kerio tops the lot. Outpost is mostly excellent, but falls down a little in usability. Netveda is worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…