Firewalls

puma0377 23:30 14 Apr 04

Probably a silly questionn, but can you run more than one firewall at the same time?

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:41 14 Apr 04

Like AV's there is absolutely no need to run 2 firewalls, even the Steve Gibson fanboys do not do this;-)). Your chances of being hacked are less than nil so running two will only cause conflicts for no result. Running 2 is way too paranoid about a miniscule 'threat'.

G

GaT7 23:53 14 Apr 04

You can in some circumstances* but it is NOT recommended as Gandalf already explained. You're only asking for trouble.

*Seems to have worked for him!? (taken from here - click here - post by 'Ian')

"Mostly, FWs can conflict, but it depends on the way they do their checking - I've had a couple running together okay (ZoneAlarm and Sygate) since they use different ways of stepping into the middle of the network connection. If two FWs use the same (e.g. they both want direct proxy access to the network) then they can upset the applecart, unless one is told to get in line behind the other, like a chain. Many of the 'freebie' ones can't be set up this way, but the paid-for versions are not so restrictive. In my case, ZA went to the internet side and Sygate went to the PC side, so ZA stopped everything getting in (and logged all the access attempts), and Sygate had first look on the out-bound stuff. They both 'trusted' each other, so whatever Sygate let through was logged by ZA before finally going 'out to play'."

Djohn 23:53 14 Apr 04

Almost four years now without using a firewall. I did try Zonalarm last year, had it on for five or six weeks but never felt completely comfortable with it.

Nothing wrong with Zonealarm itself, just that even though I had the "Alerts" turned off, I soon tired of it asking me if I wanted to allow my browser access to the net!

As GANDALF <|:-)> often states, it won't stop a virus from coming through so I leave AVG to look after that side of things. j.

Gaz 25 23:56 14 Apr 04

I, not a good idea mate.

puma0377 18:19 16 Apr 04

Thanx

spuds 21:45 16 Apr 04

A couple of site about firewalls, which could be worth a browse click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…