Firewall with XP home

Old Town Steve 08:00 25 Mar 04

I've just upgraded to XP home, and it says it comes with its own firewall. Is this sufficient, or should I install my own as well? I used to use the free zone alarm, will this still work with XP, or will it conflict with XP's own version?
Any advice will be welcome.

byfordr 08:04 25 Mar 04

XPs firewall is a bit weedy. Any of the free ones zone alarm included will be fine.

R

Diodorus Siculus 08:06 25 Mar 04

The XP firewall blocks incoming traffic only; ZA will check both ways.

If you do a search on these pages you will find lots of views on firewalls; I use one to get an idea of what programs are trying to connect to the net.

Sygate personal is good; works fine with XP.

whatsupdoc 08:27 25 Mar 04

Diodorus Siculus is right. you would be amazed what programs want net access. get something like zone alarm and you'll get a pop up when a program wants net access then you can decide to grant it or not.

MisterPaul 08:54 25 Mar 04

the XP firewall, because you don't know that it is doing anything. At least with Zonealarm you can see reports.

Paul

medicine hat 10:12 25 Mar 04

Is there a non-firewall program that will tell you what is connecting to the net?

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 25 Mar 04

I've not heard of one but no doubt someone has written one / used one and will throw in a suggestion soon.

spuds 19:47 25 Mar 04

Worth a browse click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…