Firewall with XP home

Old Town Steve 08:00 25 Mar 04

I've just upgraded to XP home, and it says it comes with its own firewall. Is this sufficient, or should I install my own as well? I used to use the free zone alarm, will this still work with XP, or will it conflict with XP's own version?
Any advice will be welcome.

byfordr 08:04 25 Mar 04

XPs firewall is a bit weedy. Any of the free ones zone alarm included will be fine.

R

Diodorus Siculus 08:06 25 Mar 04

The XP firewall blocks incoming traffic only; ZA will check both ways.

If you do a search on these pages you will find lots of views on firewalls; I use one to get an idea of what programs are trying to connect to the net.

Sygate personal is good; works fine with XP.

whatsupdoc 08:27 25 Mar 04

Diodorus Siculus is right. you would be amazed what programs want net access. get something like zone alarm and you'll get a pop up when a program wants net access then you can decide to grant it or not.

MisterPaul 08:54 25 Mar 04

the XP firewall, because you don't know that it is doing anything. At least with Zonealarm you can see reports.

Paul

medicine hat 10:12 25 Mar 04

Is there a non-firewall program that will tell you what is connecting to the net?

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 25 Mar 04

I've not heard of one but no doubt someone has written one / used one and will throw in a suggestion soon.

spuds 19:47 25 Mar 04

Worth a browse click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…