FIREWALL in windows XP!!

diddi.ash 18:59 31 Mar 05

I have windows XP home edition and i was told that there is a firewall, if there is i cant find it to enable it.

Also would it conflict with the AVG anti-virus i already have?

octal 19:04 31 Mar 05

You have a double posting, could you tick one of them close, otherwise you won't know which one to look at:

click here

I don't think its your fault, there is a strang problem with PCA at the moment.

pauldonovan 19:05 31 Mar 05

It might be worth you upgrading to Windows XP SP2 - the firewall is enhanced in that and I believe is switched-on as standard. Be careful though as people have had issues with SP2 so you may want to investigate on your manufacturer's website.

AVG is anti-virus software, not a firewall, so they should not conflict at all.

To get to the firewall in your current version, go to the Control Panel, then Network Connections, depending on how you connect to the net you'll see various connections in there. Right-click on the relevant one, click properties then go to the ADvanced Tab and you should see a box that says something like "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet" and there'll be a check box. Check that and your done. You may need to configure depending on how you use the internet.

Hope this helps.

VoG II 19:05 31 Mar 05

click here but you would be better off with Zone Alarm click here because it blocks outgoing as well as incoming.

Neither will conflict with AVG.

diddi.ash 19:07 31 Mar 05

Will it slow my internet use and also stop certain websites from loading?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:10 31 Mar 05

start-control panel-security center-window firewall. It will not conflict with AVG.

VoG II 19:11 31 Mar 05

No it won't slow you down and you can configure firewalls as to the sites/programs they will/won't block.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…