Firewall -Windows own, or another?

Diemmess 12:30 28 May 12

I disliked the latest update on Zone Alarm (free version), and posted a question here about its seeming take-over tactics enter link description here

That answered my question at the time. It also brought a feeling that perhaps it is enough to rely on Windows own security? I remember at least one experienced member saying so.

I use XP pro regularly updated.

Avast for defence.

Malwarebytes for a weekly check and CCleaner for loose ends at about weekly intervals.

Apart from warnings, there has been no malware bother since DOS and pre-internet days when the only source of bother was by "dodgy" floppys.

Woolwell 12:35 28 May 12

Vista and Windows 7's firewalls are fine but XP's is one way only and another program should be used.

spuds 13:25 28 May 12

I have used and recommended ZoneAlarm for many years in the past, but approx 2 years ago I started to have a number of problems with that product, so I left it to Mocrosoft. No problems since?.

But I wasn't aware that on XP it was one way only,(I also use it on Vista and W7) so thanks to Woolwell, I might need to look into that!.

Diemmess 13:50 28 May 12

Thank you Woolwell for a defining statement! ...... Also to spuds for his interest........ For me, it means two more problems -

1). Is this one a worthy replacement? C/Net Download.com gives full marks to Comodo (free firewall).

2). Is ZA normal to uninstall, or does it need ZA's own removal tool like Norton?

Woolwell 14:02 28 May 12

I've never used either products but according to Zone Alarm this is how to uninstall it ZoneAlarm support

Woolwell 14:04 28 May 12

That link didn't work properly - type in removal in the search box and the first article should tell you how.

spuds 14:38 28 May 12

I tried Comodo on recommendations of a forum member and some good reviews, but for some reason (forget now) I removed the product.

I would suggest that you install Revo Uninstaller, and perhaps try that for removal, because when I tried ZoneAlarm uninstaller, I found that it left some bits behind.

rdave13 15:49 28 May 12

I strongly suggest not using revo to uninstall security or microsoft software. You can land in trouble. Use the ZA removal tool if there is one.

On my netbook I run PC Tools firewall the free version. It's light on resources and doesn't nag too much.

rdave13 15:55 28 May 12

It's suggested to go to safe mode, then programs, Zone Alarm menu and uninstall icon.

rdave13 16:13 28 May 12
  Diemmess 17:07 28 May 12

Job done!...... Seems OK but much too early to be sure.

Once a tick box of an ambiguous nature had been cleared Add/Remove did most of the uninstall, but the last thing was a comb through the Registry, deleting any or all references though most of those were default settings, there were at least a dozen of them.

Previously downloaded exe file installed Comodo quite quickly with the expected permissions being granted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now