Firewall for two network pc's

jules52 10:44 23 Dec 03

I have two pc's (one as host and one as guest)running on ntl broadband. Being ever aware of outside intrusion I installed a firewall, ZoneAlarm (free version). The problem is that however I try to configure, the guest pc is blocked by the ZoneAlarm software. I also run two printers in the same manner. Would I be better off buying Nortons Internet Suite v7 ?

Lozzy 11:36 23 Dec 03

Firewalls are the most causes for connection loss on a network. I do not know Zone Alarm but I use Norton Firewall on my home network and once you configured it to allow internet access I have no issues with the internet connection.

I would assume that Zone alarm can be configured perhaps some other kind Guru will advise you how.

Merry Christmas

howard60 09:25 25 Dec 03

set the main pc to use following ip address 192 168 0 1 and subnet 255 255 255 0 then 2nd pc to 192 168 0 2 same subnet put 192 168 0 1 in gateway and dns.

howard60 09:29 25 Dec 03

sorry hit the wrong key. Then put any old file in the shared document folder and reboot both pcs. Then open zone alarm - firewall - main on the host pc and set internet zone security to medium and trusted to low. Then click on firewall zones and click on add - ip address and enter 192 168 0 2 as trusted then apply. all should now work ok. Do not have zone alarm on both pcs.

jules52 06:53 26 Dec 03

Thanks howard60 will try as soon as i have spare minute.

keith-236785 07:42 26 Dec 03

first of all, follow howard60's advice regarding the IP addresses.

To configure Zone Alarm for your network, open zone alarm (double click the tray icon)

click the firewall button on the left.

click on advanced (bottom right)

then in the internet connection sharing section, make sure you select "this computer is an ICS/NAT Gateway" and under that, select the network adapter of your server (usually

that should open your network up.

fingers crossed that should do the trick

good luck

jules52 11:58 26 Dec 03

OK paperman27 will remember that too and will let you all know the outcome.

Belatucadrus 12:28 26 Dec 03

Have a look at Kerio click here manual available click here it has rather more configuration options than ZoneAlarm free.

keith-236785 15:20 26 Dec 03

jules52,i am using the pro (paid for) version of zone alarm so sorry if the options are not the same. hopefully you wont have problems.

good luck anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…