firewall and traffic monitoring tools

oxparks 18:17 09 Apr 09

Hi

I have mobile broadband with Orange who do not provide any tool so that you can monitor monthly usage to make sure you stay within your limit.

They provide what they call an Orange Mobile Partner which provides a pretty graph of the signal, and what it says are daily, monthly and yearly usage levels. However having had the system for a couple of months the data it gives is totally useless and bears no resemblance to the data usage shown on the monthly bill. Who wants a partner like this??

So then you set about searching for some other tool like NetMeter. However to install you have to disable firewall then enable afterwards. How risky is this?

Thanks!

Stuartli 18:33 09 Apr 09

I use Tautology Bandwidth Meter and have done so for several years. It does what it says on the tin:

click here

Once you have downloaded it I don't see any reason why you have to disable the firewall, especially if you disconnect from browsing.

stlucia 19:49 09 Apr 09

If your bills are based on different data from that measured by Orange Mobile Partner, don't you have a valid claim against Orange? They can't have two different meters giving different readings for the same thing.

I installed Tautology Bandwidth Meter, on Stuartli's recommendation, a week ago. It's very simple and straightforward.

rdave13 20:29 09 Apr 09

Another excellent meter; click here

oxparks 10:52 10 Apr 09

thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions both in terms of software and the point about a claim against Orange...will let you know how it goes!

stlucia 08:21 24 May 09

I've noticed that Tautology Bandwidth Meter gives spurious readings: For instance, when I booted up today, for a short while it was showing 1.92GB used for the month. Then, after a few minutes it was showing 142MB for the month; now it's showing 976.73MB, which is in line with what I expect.

Every time I boot up it behaves like that. If it's just recording cumulative traffic in and out, how can the numbers vary so much? Not very confidence-insipiring :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…