Firewall ....Sygate gone...replacement ??

RKMonty 22:09 04 Jan 06

I believe that the free Sygate Personal Firewall has been taken over by Norton (?) If so is it still a valid firewall that will offer protection ?? Can it still be downloaded ?

What other free Firewall options would you recommend ?? Thanks for any advice.

Diodorus Siculus 22:49 04 Jan 06

I'm interested in this too - I've used Sygate for years and replaced it with Nvidia's firewall which came with my motherboard.

Hope to see suggestions other than ZoneAlarm which I don't like.

RKMonty 23:12 04 Jan 06

Any reasons for not liking ZoneAlarm ??

Skyver 23:25 04 Jan 06

Kerio has just been updated by it's new owners (Sunbelt) - what the long term plans for it are I don't know, but it's free at the moment.
click here

Skeletor 00:01 05 Jan 06

RKMonty,

You're right, it has been taken over by Norton, and I believe they have discontinued the Personal Firewall (the free one). You can still get it from various download sites. It should still be as effective as before, as it doesn't rely on regular updates like Anti Virus software.

The Spires 00:19 05 Jan 06

More info on Sunbelt Kerio Firewall, the full version is $14.95.

The Spires 00:19 05 Jan 06

click here Oooops.

RKMonty 17:25 05 Jan 06

So as a replacement for Sygate....is it ZoneAlarm or Kerio Firewall..........any major deciding factors ?? Thanks

Skyver 17:26 05 Jan 06

I'd say ZoneAlarm seeing as it's definitely free and does a good job. I'm going to leave Kerio on my machine (just re-installed it) and see what it does after 30 days.

The Spires 19:06 05 Jan 06

The Sunbelt/Kerio after 28 days reverts to a free version with reduced features. I bought the Sunbelt/Kerio a few days ago and am very pleased with it.

J B 19:40 05 Jan 06

Good evening all, You can get Sygate Firewall version 5.5 or 5.6 at click here Happy downloading. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac