Firewall setup

bgc2668 19:35 01 Apr 04

I am using an ethernet adsl moden router to connect to the internet now, so I can be online with my pc an ps2 at the same time. I am using NIS 2003, but if use Shields Up to check the security it tells me that I have failed and that my computer is responding. There are no open ports, only closed or stealth. Also there is a ping reply.

If I connect using my PCI adsl modem and run the test again there are no problems.

NIS is enabled and says it is protecting the connection.

VoG II 19:47 01 Apr 04

How interesting! I have just rub ShieldsUp! in response to another thread and have got an identical result going through a router to cable modem. With direct connection to modem it does not respond to pings. I presume it must be the router that is responding to pings.

I would't worry too much - it just mean that other 'puters can tell you are there but as all your ports are blocked/stealthed there's not a lot a "hacker" could do, even if they were interested in home PCs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…