Firewall & Router Question

leveblue 12:58 18 Jul 07

Following on from one of the previous postings, touching on a firewall with a router, quote “If you need a firewall (don't if you connect through a router)” posted by oldbeefer2.

I have a (Norton) firewall on my desktop PC which is wired via a router, I have assumed that is okay to do.

However, my daughter has a laptop with firewall. She accesses the internet wi-fi?, via the same router. From oldbeefer2’s comment above, do I take it that this is the wrong thing to do and that the firewall should be disabled on her laptop when accessing the internet?

robbiepaul79 13:02 18 Jul 07

No i belive he is making comment on the fact that most routers come with a firewall built into them.

Dipso 14:18 18 Jul 07

Many people use a software firewall alongside their routers in-built firewall to handle the outbound connections. If your daughters laptop uses the Windows firewall that should work OK alongside the routers.

leveblue 15:06 18 Jul 07

Thanks for responses. As usual, I appear to have got hold of the stick by the wrong end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…