Firewall - Router or software?

Stuart Leyland 01:04 08 Jul 04

Firstly, apologies for the mound of threads started by yours truely which appear to be occupying a number of spots in the Helproom :-)

My question is basically this, do I use my router's built in firewall or a software product (Sygate is my personal choice). I would normally say router myself but my setup is a little complicated by me having a USB modem rather than an ethernet one. The way my network is set up is as follows:

USB modem -> My Computer -> Hub -> My sister's computer and a laptop

When I sorted out the network earlier, Sygate was preventing access to the internet (files could still be seen on all computers) even though I'd set up a rule to allow traffic from the IP addresses of the laptop and my sister's computer. So I turned it off and everything was fine. The thing is that I'm not sure whether I'll be protected properly on my computer without Sygate on simply because the modem does not go through the router.

Advice would be very useful right now :-)

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…